City of Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, Washington, Whidbey Island's Premier Waterfront Community

Jump to Content

865 SE Barrington Drive
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
Phone: 360-279-4500
Fax: 360-279-4507

Text Size:
set largest text size set large text size set normal text size

Domestic Violence


Domestic Violence is a crime.  Assault, battery and domestic violence are serious and dangerous crimes. The fact that you have or have had a relationship with the offender does not change this fact.

There is no excuse.  You do not deserve to be abused or threatened. There is no excuse for anyone to hurt you. You have the right to make your own choices and to live your life without fear. You have the right to demand respect.

You are not alone.  There are people who understand what you're going through and want to help. CADA's Handbook can help you protect yourself and your children. It describes the characteristics of domestic violence, explains the role of the legal system, outlines your rights and options, and provides information on community resources where you can turn for help.

CADA (Citizens Against Domestic and Sexual Abuse)


P. O. Box 190, Oak Harbor, WA 98277

Office:  (360)675-7057

Fax: (360)675-7168

Crisis Line: (360)675-2232 (24 hours)

Toll Free:  1-800-215-5669 (24 hours)

CADA is Island County's domestic violence and sexual assault agency. Specially trained staff provides support, information and referrals to domestic violence and sexual assault victims and their families. Legal advocates provide assistance with protection order paperwork, will accompany you to court, help you navigate the legal system and provide information on legal rights and options.

CADA provides safe emergency housing for battered women and their children. CADA also offers support groups for adult survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault in Oak Harbor and Langley.

CADA can help you locate and access resources for emergency food, clothing, childcare, transportation, employment, housing opportunities, therapy and more.

The Handbook for Domestic Violence Victims can be obtained by calling CADA.


Child Protective Services (CPS)
275 SE Pioneer Way #301, Oak Harbor, WA 98277

1-866-829-2153 (24 hours a day)

(360) 679-7150
(360) 679-1831  Fax

Children living in homes with domestic violence are at high risk of physical and emotional abuse. The role of CPS is to make sure that children are not hurt. A social worker may need to investigate if there is a violent incident at your home.

Law enforcement officers, social service providers and others are mandated by the state to report to CPS if they feel a child is in danger.

In Island County, law enforcement agencies, CPS and social service providers work closely together because all are very concerned about the safety and welfare of children. If you need help undertaking the response of the police or CPS, you are encouraged to contact a domestic violence advocate at CADA. Their goal is to help you protect your children.

Probation Officer
Jennifer @ Oak Harbor Municipal Court
800 SE 8th Avenue, Oak Harbor
(360) 675-0777
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

No Contact Orders
If the case involves one family or household member against another, it may be classified as "domestic violence" and the Court may enter a No Contact Order protecting the alleged victim as part of the defendant's pretrial release conditions.

The defendant is required to obey all of the terms of the No Contact Order. Any violation by the defendant is a criminal offense. It is not a defense to a violation of the No Contact Order that the "protectee" invited or allowed the violation.

Only the Judge can change the terms or extinguish (drop) the No Contact Order. The protectee can, if they wish, petition the Judge to modify or extinguish the No Contact Order. The protectee can contact the Court and request a hearing. The Court will schedule a hearing a day or two out from the date of the request. Only the protected person is required at the hearing. The defendant will not be given notice or be required to be at that hearing.

For further information about No Contact Orders - Contact:   
Oak Harbor Municipal Court
800 SE 8th Avenue
Oak Harbor, WA 98277
(360) 675-5988

Many states will enforce domestic violence orders from another state. If you are protected by a No Contact or Protection Order issued in Washington and have left Washington state, you may be able to "register" the order in the state you are in. Contact your local Superior or District Court to find out what steps you can take to have the order recognized and, therefore, enforced in your state.

Crime Victim Compensation and Assistance Program
Island County Prosecutor's Office - (360) 679-7363

Victim/Witness Coordinator: (360)678-7949 or email

For additional information:

What benefits does the program provide to victims of crime?

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Disability payments
  • Mental health therapy or counseling
  • Death benefits

In what kinds of cases are the benefits available?

  • In cases where bodily injury or death results from the commission of a crime against an innocent person.

Does this program provide compensation for stolen or damaged property?

  • No, but the Judge may order restitution for stolen or damaged property as part of the sentence, if a restitution affidavit is filled out.


Copyright 2019 - City of Oak Harbor - All Rights Reserved. Site Design by HOW IT WORKS